View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 12:26 PM   #17
Mee-n-Mac

Wink C. L. O. D. S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm203
Cal,Thats some nice CSI homework,but the guy never slowed down.You would think that he would at least back off the throttles a little.Personally,I just dont think he was paying attention or knew where he was going or what he was doing...I just have to remind myself that I am there to relax,not to develop boat-rage.
Sounds like it's time for CoLlisiOn Detection System. What CLODS does is detect the presence of other vessels or above water obstructions and issue an alert and instructions to the boat operator if it determines that a collision is possible or impending. Indicator lights let you know who's the Stand On and who's the Give Way vessel. Both verbal and text messages are given as to what action each should take, ie - maintain course and speed or throttle back you moron, throttle back you moron. A variety of warnings may be issued depending on the severity of the situation. CLODS is always thinking even when the other guy isn't. Available this Christmas at a Walmart near you for only $99.95.

More seriously such a system could be made, certainly using a very simple radar and perhaps via other means for not that many $$ (<$400 I'll swag). Problem is that nothing designed and built by humans is ever going to be foolproof and the liability lawyers would soon sue any small company building/selling such things out of exisitence. Moreover in the APS's case above it's not sure whether it would have made any difference. I could make a case that the operator saw APS in his rowboat and reacted in what he thought was an appropriate manner. No collision was really imminent, he just passed way too close. CLODS can't stop the deliberate idiots from being ... idiots.

Last edited by Mee-n-Mac; 10-12-2005 at 07:40 PM. Reason: spellin
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote