View Single Post
Old 01-20-2007, 02:27 PM   #61
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Smile Feeling a Bit Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle
My Dearest RS:
This is your OLD (he-he) forum buddy, who swam up to your dock (underwater) and only stuck my head up (with a mask on) to say "HI," one day..Remember!
This isn't a well know fact but about me, but, nine years ago, just before I became a Forum member, I was stricken with a terrible mysterious illness that almost cost me my life. I had surgery to remove a bone tumor from, my right shoulder, another to remove part of my 7th and 8th ribs, and I was on a mechanical pump for 6 weeks with a "long line IV," inserted directly into my heart. I had to hook myself up, and pump myself with 250 ml, of Vencromysin (strongest antibiodic known) twice a day, and had give myself six injections, because it has settled in my heart, and was trying to shut my heart down. I was taken out in an ambulance, with respitory failure. I had an "unknown Highly infective Staff blood infection, and origionally diagnosed with bone cancer, which turned out to be "Osteomylittis," and not the big "C", but very much similar. I fought it with everything I had, and beat it! You saw me swim over to meet you, right after, and YOU CAN DO IT TOO! ALL my prayes go out to you, and I KNOW God will look after you and protect you! Keep the faith, and remember we are ALL here for you! ALWAYS! If I could give you a hug right now I would! In fact, here it is, my friend! BIG HUGS! We love you!
"The Eagle!"
Wow Eagle that is just so awful that you’ve been through so much! Your story and others I am learning of will be added inspiration to get me through this difficult time. Hopefully your ailments are behind you now.

When you popped up at our dock, did you let me know that you are “The Eagle?” I’m having trouble remembering which diver you were! As you might have guessed, I’m the friendly sort who enjoys interacting with anyone who might cross my path.

Somehow I got lucky and there was a cancellation at the dermatologist’s office yesterday. She took a culture from one of the rash sites. I think to be sure exactly what mycobacterium we are dealing with. Cipro is not one of the antibiotics listed that should work on this kind of infection, now I am on Minocycline. So far so good accept for it’s making me feel a bit lightheaded. Just so long as it works!

Thanks again everyone for all of the wonderful support. I truly appreciate it and know you are helping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS2
Do you think it was a new fish that had the bacteria or can it just develop in an established population?
From a bit of research I discovered that a fish could have this disease for a long time without showing signs of sickness. Not sure if it can grow on it’s own in a healthy population. One site recommends arm length gloves like veterinarian’s use for birthing large animals. In our case it’s hard to say which of our fish was or is infected. We got the aquarium just after Christmas and added five fish on New Year’s weekend. We suspect it was the Striped Catfish. (His name was Walter. Can guess how I came up with that name?”) We only have two of the original five. I added three tetras last Thursday, the day after the first sign of the rash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS2
I guess I will stop putting my bare hands in our fish tank and pond when I need to tend them!
You and me both! When swimming last summer a bass was following me. I was able to get close enough to tickle its belly, for quite a while too. I loved it! Sadly, that’s a thing of the past for me. At least we are on a very clean part of the lake. Speaking of bass, did anyone catch the article in The Weirs Times last fall about bass? It was wonderful. When I feel better, I'll try and find it.

My brother (a Lake Champlain boater) suggested where my odds of catching this disease were so slim maybe I should buy a lottery ticket. Wish me luck!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote