Thread: Canoe
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #94
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrossamerica View Post
Ah the internet and its marvelous opportunities to spread the word about your business so very inexpensively. But also the place where one or two of your customer's well placed reviews can sink your business before you have a chance to even respond. And then when you do respond - Maybe that was not always the best idea either. Surely only the devil would invent so nasty a thing as the internet and allow everyone to chime in even if they do not have an oar in the water. And be able to do it with nary a care about being uncovered as to name, place or credentials.

Years from now we as a society who have not yet totally figured out how to deal with the industrial revolution of 150 years ago will look back on how stupidly we handled the information and internet revolution.
The Internet is the most powerful tool ever presented to man-kind. The power of the pen is no longer monopolized by a select/privileged few. The skill we all need to develop is an ability to quickly qualify an author.

I am a restaurateur with solid positive reviews on every restaurant review website. Recently an author blemished our near perfect (4 1/2 star) ratings on yelp with a 2 star review. Those who take the time to look further will learn that the same yelpster gave a hot dog stand a 4 star review. Was this yelpstter qualified to review our restaurant? Absolutely! Based on the author's standards, I'd have been more concerned had the review been parallel to the hot dog stand.

A couple of years ago there was a thread on this forum that contained negative posts about our restaurant and we weren't even open yet. Fact is: those negative posts helped us. We were a hot topic for several weeks prior to opening. "Canoe"has been atop the restaurant thread for about 3 weeks now. There are over 7k views and nearly 100 posts. Like Carnege said "I don't care what they are saying about me as long as they are talking"

I personally chuckle at the attacks on the owner. Old adage; "don't judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes". I believe that a great restaurant is not created base on how good the great moments are but instead on how good the bad moments are. I've not walked in Scott's shoes but I feel safe assuming that his restaurant(s) would not still be here and he would not be growing if he did not have the ability to consistently deliver. A bad moment in his establishment(s) is still much better than the best moment many of his competitors can deliver.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post: