View Single Post
Old 02-22-2006, 04:51 AM   #53
Mee-n-Mac

Default I should ignore you but

Since you included my post in your response to Cal here's my reply...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second
Speaking of partial quotes taken for advantage...

1) Why was my previous paragraph regarding the solicitation of a 12-year-old child to send letters to New Hampshire Senators ignored? http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...2&postcount=35
Because neither her commentary, nor generally yours, has an factual bearing on the matter. You seem to look at the whole HB-162 issue as a way to punish a group of boaters you don't like. You constantly bring up any excesses and then try to pass them off as typical behavior. You ignore the same excesses when they are exhibited by non-GFBL boaters. The technique of typecasting the many by the sins of the few is an old, well used ploy. I'm simply not buying into it.

Quote:
2) Since you both regularly decry HB162 at the "World's Largest and Oldest Speedboat Forum", why wasn't your alcohol-use poll used as support for your contentions here?

Answer: Because it's NOT support! NHMP's Lt. Dunleavy says that 80% of NH boaters have alcohol aboard. (And added that alcohol-use appears to be on the increase).

Olympic skier Bode Miller famously stated just last week that he gets drunk to enhance the thrill of running the slopes. After hearing that...how shall we regard the 4˝-ton thrill-boater as he imbibes—then departs—from a sand bar? I'm sorry, but alcohol and piloting any craft is bad news—as we will see next summer. (Or among snowmobiles this winter).
So what are you trying to say ? Are you saying 80% of the boat captains out and about on the lake are drunk ? Are you saying that the Lt. Dunleavy & NHMP knowing letting drunk boaters off the hook when they stop them ? I agree wholeheartedly that "alcohol and piloting any craft is bad news", I just don't limit my concern on that issue to the GFBL crowd. How often to you express any concern or outrage over the excesses of anyone outside of the GFBL crowd ? Once, twice, ever ? Again, are you proposing that speed limits are a proper response to drunk boating ? If not, why are you bringing up alcohol in this discussion ? In direct response to your question above - It wouldn't occur to me to mention the aforementioned poll because I don't see how an alcohol use poll has anything to do with a speed limit discussion. Limiting drunk boaters to HB-162 legal speeds isn't going to make them safe.

Quote:
3) Here's another example of a partial quote taken for advantage: {snip}
The only "advantages" I take when I remove a parts of a quote are the ones of breveity and clarity. I indicate, by putting in the {snip}, that there's more to the post than what I've quoted. That's why I do it. I assume people can find the whole post in the thread (usually in close proximity to mine) and read it. When the whole quote / post is in another thread (and if I think there's any possibility of concern over a misquote) I include a URL to that post. There's no good reason to include long sections of previously posted material if I'm only responding to a portion of it. Tell you what though, I ask anybody on the forum to try to find a post where I've cut out a portion of it in a deliberate attempt to misconstrue the original poster's intention or message. You do the same. We'll see what results ... OK ?

Quote:
4) It's easy to answer this one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
And so back to the original topic ... how does one distinguish excess alcohol from excess speed as being the prime causitive factor in an "accident" which is purported to have both ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS
Remember that "80% of boaters have alcohol on board" quote?
Let's assume that it includes kayakers. What possible threat does a drunk kayaker pose?
That's an answer to the question I asked ?!? I'm not worried about the drunk kayaker. How about answering the question (immediately above). Let me make it clear for you. Let's say a boater doing 55 mph runs into the only other boat out in the middle of the Broads. The MP test him and find his BAC to be .12. Would you think it's more likely the accident is due to excess speed or excess alcohol ?

Quote:
5) Anyway, a speed limit is needed if for no other reason to discourage even faster boating on our scenic lake. What's next? {snip}
Like SilverDuck I have my theory as to what top speed is proper. It's higher than HB-162's 45.