View Single Post
Old 06-12-2008, 08:25 PM   #34
Weekend Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Other than fuel prices, one thing to remember, is school is going to run late this year due to the snow-days. Afer school is out, traffic will most likey increase. Maybe people might not run the boats as much, but they will go out.
While it is true school is still in session, I still maintain traffic is down quite a bit compared to the normal June. I was looking at video we shot last year the week before Bike Week and there was a lot of boat traffic compared to this year. And boat traffic was down last summer, particularly during July. There was more than one Saturday afternoon we made it out onto the lake only to find there was little traffic. We were able to cross The Broads at WOT with nary a bump, something I haven't experienced on Winnipesaukee in over 20 years.

Gas on the lake last July was around $3.30. It will be closer to $4.75 this year. You can't tell me it won't have an adverse affect on boat traffic this summer. I'm guessing it will be down about 30% compared to last year (just a SWAG, with little evidence to support it...for now).

A true indication will be the second weekend of Bike Week and Fourth of July. If weather is good and boat traffic is down on both those weekends, boat traffic will be down all summer.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote