View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #24
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Tourism Down

It's quite obvious at this point that tourism in the lakes region will be drastically down this summer. Ask anyone who rents out their place whether on an island or on the mainland and you hear the same thing over and over..."Many weeks available this summer".

My wife and I just rented a place on an island for a couple weeks that is normally well booked up by now every year...The entire month of July was still available as of last weekend! We heard this same story from many camp owners who rent.

I think the price of gas and the current unstable state of affairs with our economy is keeping people home. The Lakes Region needs to do everything they can to welcome tourists so more businesses do not go under. When businesses leave the area or go out completely, you know who has to make up for the tax burden differential!

Having attended the Bike Rally for many years,I will be curious to see what the final stats are for this years event... I have a feeling they will be down as well.

My personal feeling is the entire Lakes Region will be suffering this year due to lack of tourism.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote