View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #87
Gilligan

Arrow Misleading spin from the pro speed limit side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Lover View Post
Interesting how many opponents didn't understand until today what the law says and means. Skip has posted this before. The proponents on this forum have pointed out many times that boats will be able to go faster that the numbers and "get away with it". If you want to open it up on the broads when nobody is around, I don't care. And I doubt the Marine Patrol will either. Just one more thing we have been saying, but nobody was listening.

BI where were you last night?
You are giving the public the wrong impression about the information posted by Skip. You expect MP to selectively ignore laws. Only you are suggesting that you can "get away" with going over the proposed new limit because of the wording of the law. Skip is saying that you can defend yourself in court a different way than a car speeder can.

Boaters often "get away" with breaking the law now. Violating the 150 foot law is one we all know. That does not mean they can "get away" with it if they get a ticket and go to court. You know that MP can't enforce every rule 100% of the time. It will be the same when a speed limit rule is in effect. Do not diminish the potential of that speed limit law.

What you are suggesting is that you can violate the new law. You can speed and get away with it. If you get a boating speeding ticket you will not get away with it. You will be allowed to present a defense different than what you could say if it was a car speeding ticket. You still have to face a judge or plead nolo or guilty.

Bear Islander has said that boaters behave when the MP are around. I believe we all agree on that point. They will be around more if they do not have to have 2 officers in one boat with a radar gun. Those 2 officers could be in 2 separate patrol boats potentially causing twice as many boaters to behave. No new law required for twice the safety.

As has been said many times. More enforcement of the current laws works. You can't spin that.