View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
fatlazyless

Up at the WV rink, the rink has about eight steel trainer supports in both adult and child size that are somewhat similar to a walker with a couple exceptions. They have rubber tips which do not glide nearly as well as vinyl, and are all steel construction so it's much heavier than an aluminum walker.

At the PSU rink in Plymouth, they use two plastic milk crates held together vertically with nylon wire ties which are ok for children but not as stable as an aluminum walker.

If you compare the aluminum walker vs the milk crates or larger steel supports, it's pretty obvious that a walker makes for a real good ice skate trainer support.

As far as not looking too cool out on the ice what with skating with a walker and a helmet......while that is true.....here's something to consider..... two people can use one walker at the same time.....either side by side....or three people.....side by side by side.....or two people....one going backwards and one going frontwards....so the walker can add a social human dancer style element to learning how to skate better.....and that makes it more fun to do......plus the backwards skater gets to show off just a wee bit.....and two more proficient skaters can do two-dimensional cart wheels by continually circling the ice while using a walker for support and stability as they get more practice time on the ice.

On a scale from one to ten, I consider myself to be about a seven, or a "C" on ice skates, and I have had people including ice rink employees who drive the Zamboni come up to me and ask: "So why do you use a walker when you are already a good skater?" and I usually say that's because I'm trying to become a better skater...

Maybe the walker could be thought to be somewhat like bicycle training wheels except adapted for an ice skater who's training to be a better skater plus it should easily cost less than ten dollars when purchased at a yard sale for like five bucks or so plus the 2.59 four-pak of vinyl tips.