Thread: Sailing
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 08:25 AM   #55
ApS

Cool Sailing in Our Light and Variable Winds...

After reading of one member's disappointing experience of sailing in the "light and variable winds" of Lake Winnipesaukee, a few words of encouragement are in order:

1) First of all, "a light and variable wind" happens to be the most prominent trademark of Lake Winnipesaukee's boating conditions—just as it is for all "inland waters".

Ocean's
winds are characteristically steady, with light and variable winds being the trademark of only a few places on this Earth's vast oceans.

So, on Lake Winnipesaukee, we're stuck with what we have—which isn't necessarily a bad thing!

2) Second, "light and variable winds" doesn't mean you can't go sailing. Consider wind direction:

The oldest trick to determine wind direction involves having a tobacco smoker on board. The trail of smoke will accurately determine the direction of the wind.

3) The "light-wind problem" comes with having a large sailboat on the lake, IMHO: The trail of smoke can be different at one end of the boat compared to the other!

IMHO, "light and variable winds" favor a small sailboat. Too often, when I'm sailing out on The Broads, I've seen big and expensive sailboats solely under power.

Keeping the naturally light winds of "Inland Waters" in mind, I've sold two of my medium-sized (20-foot) sailboats and kept one large one (with power) and acquired two different small ones (without power—which isn't ALL of my sailboats!)

Sold here, were two catamarans which I found were very frustrating in light winds. With two hulls, both were too readily halted—even reversed—by wakes. Too often, while scarcely moving forward at all!

(Both "cats" were owned concurrently, so one can't be blamed over the other).

Strong winds for catamarans will keep you entertained and busy, all right, but there's the risk of capsizing—with the usual difficulties in self-righting a catamaran—or worse—"turtling" one's catamaran. "Turtling" often requires skilled powerboat help to prevent damage and is even more work to get it right-side up!

A large monohull sailboat can tackle anything the lake throws at it, but I've come to prefer small monohulls for the ease and rapidity of rigging them for the day and "getting out there" regardless of lack of wind. Instead of tobacco smoke, you can rig a "telltale" to determine wind direction, however faint it may be.

On my single-sail monohull, I use a mylar strip about 10" long. Among available "telltales", it is extremely sensitive—and it is also free! (Just pull a strand from an old plastic tarp). It shows wind-direction when your other "telltales" aren't moving at all. This week, I added a small breast feather to the end of the mylar strip.(It's a discard from a local Loon—used for appropriate-ticity).

Most mornings, our local winds will gradually increase in velocity; however, one should be aware that around Noon, the wind can drop to nothing. Sitting motionless in the hot sun—as lunch time passes by—can be very stressful!

So, start out early and bring water and a sammich. (Or an apple, which has the staying power of a much bigger snack. If you don't have auxiliary power, consider bringing sun-block too).

All is working out very well for these past five days during these too-rare, consecutive and, especially outstanding, weather-days for sailing.

3) Lastly, it doesn't take a lot of money to aquire a small sailboat: A Scorpion, Snark, Laser, Optimist, Puffer, Phantom, Zuma, Holder or Porpoise can be bought for less than $1000: Some, for MUCH less!

Any of those can be cartopped or even "cradled" within a trailered powerboat or sailboat.

Heck, throw a bunkbed mattress inside first—get out there sailing—even when the wind "isn't right"!!!

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote