View Single Post
Old 12-22-2004, 09:55 AM   #11
Mee-n-Mac

Default Old Mount fuel not oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal
Great thread Senter Cove Guy!

Could the big drum that is not part of the Mount be part of the train station? The old building came way out from the shore and the drum is not in any of the old photographs. I can find no mention of what fuel was used. Wood seems to be the most common, as it is readily available.

Perhaps this scan of her plans might help. Taken from Farewell Old Mount Washington. The picture is huge to allow greater detail, so I am putting it as a link to PhotoPost.

Mt. Washington Boiler and Engine Plans
From the boiler/engine plan that RG posted (where do you get all this stuff ) I deduce that the old Mount's fuel was either coal or wood, certainly not oil or diesel. There's the shape & size of the furnaces and mention of ash pans and dumping the ash overboard by the paddlewheel (ash disposal unit). Are there plans of the old Mount around ? Do they list coal bunkers or some fuel storage area ?? Still no clue as to the nature of the big drum by the dock. Mad has sparked some bona-fide mysteries (fuel, drum) here, certainly "we" can solve them

Last edited by Mee-n-Mac; 12-22-2004 at 09:40 PM.
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote