View Single Post
Old 04-05-2015, 11:01 AM   #19
SeventySeven

Default Lake water supply

I will never argue with anyone wanting to "put safety first" and thank you. In delivering my basic thoughts, to keep things readable, I decided to chance that future discussions, like this one, would bring out the required details. Hence:

Our two working installations are at 120 volts. A separate grounding conductor travels with the pump conductors, back to the legally required disconnecting means on dry land, and said conductor is in addition to what is required in the current 2014 version of NFPA 70 (aka "The National Electrical Code") as amended for New Hampshire. The branch circuit which feeds the pump carries legally and currently required GFCI protection, tested weekly, which is beyond the manufacturers monthly recommendation. In the mentioned 20 year history, there has never been a fault of any kind.

I assume and expect anyone doing any work involving the supply of electrical energy to any device is having that part of the work done by a properly licensed electrician. That electrician, doing his job correctly, would likely build out an installation quite similar to ours.

Regardless of my thoughts, anyone feeling uncomfortable with this approach should simply not do it.

Again, I can't thank you enough for bringing this to the surface for discussion. You have appropriately brought up what should be everyone's first topic, safety. I apologize for not doing so myself at the outset.
SeventySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeventySeven For This Useful Post: