View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #100
ChocolateGypsy

Default Upscale???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs1342
Hey folks, Beware of what you wish for as far as the Weirs needing to change. Change to what? Upscale is where i see it going in the future which will drive out the working class. I like it honky tonk and bike week forever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by birchhaven View Post
I am gonna regret bring this up, but there are two major factors why Laconia is the way it is while all the surrounding areas thrive, one of them being bike week... bike week does not help the city or its people.

The Weirs is far more "upscale" today than it was in the 60s when we had the "bike week riots." Back then, the Weirs looked like an atomic bomb had gone off in the 40s or 50s and no one had ever returned. (I still have nightmares!) I agree that the burned building is a safety hazard. But I really don't think the city has the money to tear it down either.

As far as Bike Week is concerned -- IT'S ONLY ONE WEEK OF THE ENTIRE YEAR!! And the quality of visitors has greatly improved with each decade.

IMO, the problem with Laconia is that it can't seem to escape the effects of it's past as a poor mill town and as a "dumping site" for the state's mentally ill... and then there's the prison... toxic waste sites... lack of descent jobs... etc.

Just droppin' in for a bite.
ChocolateGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChocolateGypsy For This Useful Post: