View Single Post
Old 06-12-2005, 02:51 PM   #11
jeffk

Default Clip everything on

Lessons learned

When around the water either remove glasses or use clip on straps. Straps didn't help when a lens popped out once. On land you just pick it up, in water good luck. One pair glasses lost, one lens lost.

Clip your hat onto your shirt when boating. 2 hats lost, several requiring retrieval.

Stow EVERYTHING on a boat before you get moving. The wind acts like a big vacuum cleaner and pulls everything into the air. So far things lost or almost lost: clothes, towels, plastic bags, life jackets, bowls, ...

Do outside work as soon as possible after mud season or late fall so the bugs don't drive you crazy.

Always check that your water craft will start (and that drain plugs are in) BEFORE you launch them.

Any vehicle that starts off a battery will end up with a dead battery more often that you expect, even if it worked fine the week before. The smaller the battery the more likely this is (i.e. jet skis and snowmobiles will have dead batteries often).

For some inexplicable reason the gas fillup access on watercraft can't be designed to not overflow when filling the tank. Gas will always spit back into the water and on your boat. They can use technology to fix all sorts of problems but this seems beyond anyone's ability to address.

When you are playing on a jet ski and doing 360s you can become dizzy and disoriented.

Running over rocks is not good for your boat. The rocks always win. I wouldn't bother to mention it but so many people keep doing this every year that I'm assuming that they haven't figured it out yet.

The water in the lake is very cold in the winter. (Really!)(My wife can personally vouch for this.)(I'm willing to take her word for it.)

If you don't take time every now and then (hopefully more now than then) to just sit quietly along the shore and soak in the ambiance you really don't understand what the lake is all about.

Once in a while at night, when the lake is very still and the sky is very clear, the entire sky, with all the stars, will be reflected in the lake. WOW. It takes your breath away. It's hard to believe that anything can be that beautiful and that you are so privileged to be able to see it.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post: