Thread: River Otter
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #30
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by cillovely View Post
And not sure about this, but MIT is also right on the Charles River, which probably has a few beavers along it.

I was going to say mink since I saw my first one last summer up at the lake, but he was much smaller. And muskratats are small too. Had a pesky one in my yard one year (brook at the end of my property) eating all of my tulip bulbs. Poor feller got stuck in the chain link fence between mine and my neighbors yard. He was gone the next day, so something ate him. I wasn't that sad, I loved those flowers and have never had much luck growing more since.

I did see what I think was a dead otter on the side of a road near a pond one day. He was on the big side, not a beaver that's for sure. Looked more like a small seal.

The beaver is always on the front of the "Brass Rat", the nickname for the MIT undergrad class ring. It is there because the beaver is looked at as nature's engineer. Ask any MIT grad you know and they will confirm this.

It is also on the "Gold Rat", the nickname for the ring worn by masters and PhD grads.

MIT is full of tradition.

I worked in the engineering field in Boston for my whole career. I know my beavers.
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote