View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 11:43 PM   #192
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Zipper
LI, you better darn well have a preserver out for every passenger onboard and a throwable device all the time. If it ends up that this boat sank due to a disconnected raw water intake hose or something similar is the perfect reason. Many times you don't have time to go opening compartments to get to a preserver.

I'd hate to have to live with that guilt. "Oh yeah, I had a preserver for Timmy but it was stowed away when the boat sank."

CZ
Believe me they are accesable all the time.....especially the throwable which is always right beside me.... however there is a differance between easily accesable and within reach.... and having them out.... none of the safety equipment on my boat is stowed in a way that it is not imediately accessable.....

I think the biggest crime I have seen aside from not having the jackets out of the wraper... (I have heard that too) is that you can buy storage bag to have them in... I think you can by them form West marine with like four in the bag.....These bags are zippered, which adds another step to get them out..... and then there is my concern, if left unchecked how long before those zippers get fouled up (rust etc.).... I try to inspect all my safety equipment as much as possible, but I wonder how many people ever do....