Thread: Tavern 27
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #47
ccw1844

Default The good, the bad, the ugly

My wife and I made our first trip to Tavern 27, as we were looking for something a little different and finally had a baby sitter. This is tapes restaurant (code for typically overpriced and small portions). We sat near the bar and the found the bartender to be very friendly and attentive. We appreciated the comfortable feel of restaurant.

The Good: We started off w/ the fried Haddock “Haddock Bowl of Bites”. It was delicious! It appeared to be covered in a bread crumbs vs. the typically fried covering you get on most fried food. The portion was very large and I’d have to say the best fried fish I’ve had. It was also delivered piping hot and even our last pieces were releasing steam. $12.00 and well worth it!

The Bad: - I wouldn’t say “bad”, but the Fried Calamari was “nothing to write home about” and something we wouldn’t order again. We would rather try our luck at one of the other items off the menu. $10.00 and priced fair.

The Ugly: Uggh! We visited on July 3rd and they had what is called a red/white/blue special. It was their version of Surf & Turf. It was 4 skews with SMALL (3 bites) of tenderloin (RED) ˝ of a scallop (white and the Turf) and blue cheese inside of a roasted pepper. It was actually pretty tasty and something we would try again.
That is until we got the bill!! We couldn’t believe that they charged $27.00 for the " surf/turf" Remember these are not entrees, but rather appetizer size dishes. Shame on us for not asking up front what the cost was. It really didn’t “hit us” until while driving home. It was a sense of everything was good about Tavern 27 however, it just leaves a real “bad taste in your mouth” to be charged so much for so little. We would have appreciated it if the waitress told us the price, as we simply would not have ordered it. $27 and felt ripped off. I would have expected $15 or maybe $17.

We will perhaps give them another try, but we will be sure to avoid their not-so-special(s).
ccw1844 is offline   Reply With Quote