View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #20
Aldidonato

Wow, am I glad to see this discussion. I live in FL. And have rented a boat from a reputable marina on the lake for a two week period this summer. I can not obtain insurance from the marina or private insurance agencies, either for damage to the boat or for personal liability (which is more important to me). It seems, based on numerous phone inquiries I have made, that insurance agencies and marinas other than the one I am renting from, do not understand the question that I ask about liability insurance.

I am a "good citizen", I want to especially purchase liability insurance, but it is not offered. I first called my local Florida company that carries my home owners and asked them how to protect myself, they said my homeowners does not cover me because I do not already own a boat. Further, there is no umbrella coverage that would apply because an umbrella only applies if you already have coverage that applies. An umbrella policy seems to be a misnomer as it would only serve to extend the dollar limits for a policy that already covers the situation. Since I do not already own a boat, there is apparently no way I can protect myself and others for liability stemming from the boat I have rented.

I have been told by multiple New Hampshire insurance sources that I have spoken to that the boat owner (in my case the marina renting me the boat) is required by the state to carry liability insurance and that I do not have to worry about liability. This is not a response that makes me comfortable. On the one hand I am pleased that there seems to be liability coverage in place but it does not aide me as I am seeking to put coverage in place that protects me as a renter, not an owner. I know that if I were injured by a rental boat I would sue the owner and the driver.

Does anybody know of an insurance agency that I could purchase liability insurance from?