View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Rusty, I don't think she meant the d box was before the tank. As you probably already know, the pipe from the house goes directly to the tank, most tanks in this type of system have a pump chamber built in where theoretically only liquids pass. When the level is high enough the pump activates pumping the liquid to the distribution box that connects to the pipes in the leach field. There is usually a back flow valve in the pump chamber, after the pump, to prevent liquid siphoning out of the distribution box. The valve usually has a weep hole to allow the pipe to the distribution box to slowly empty to help prevent freezing.
Thanks ITD, that's probably the system that she has.

However there are Sewage ejector pumps, or sewage grinder pumps that are in the basement of the house and are designed to pump household sewage to the septic tank.

I think if my system froze and was only three years old, then there is a design problem. Septic systems for NH need to be able to handle just about any temperature that nature sends it's way. It doesn't help not to have snow cover, but it still shouldn't freeze if it is actively being used.