View Single Post
Old 11-19-2015, 08:28 AM   #17
MeredithMan

Default My comments are not ridiculous....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckn1 View Post
I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. I have heard nothing but negative comments about this. The owners wanted keep the property and use it for storage but was denied. When asked what he should do with it NO ONE responded to him. If people have such a problem when things like this occur maybe they should buy it first. Just a thought. His land his building his choice.
My comments are not ridiculous, and here's why:

1) People that either live in or make use of The Weirs/Laconia are really tired of the vacant lots, crappy projects, and overall run-down, honkytonk feel to the area. Is the answer for everyone who is dissatisfied to buy the land as you suggest? No, it is not. It is to voice their opinions when these things come up. That is why the Pendleton Road neighbors shot down the first Storage Facility proposal for the church.

2) For about 40 years, my family had a vaca home a short walking distance from St Helena's. As kids, we would ride bikes and play baseball in the church parking lot. We would go to Mass there on weekends. I realize change is inevitable, and we no longer have a home there, but I still feel a strong connection to that neighborhood and am compelled to voice my opinion.

3) Your comment that it is "his land, his choice" is true, as long as the abutters are not vehemently opposed and no zoning laws are violated. Knowing some of the folks in that neighborhood as I do, my guess is that they will be vocal about this plan as well.

4) If the developer's plans are to make this an attractive cluster of affordable homes with grass, trees, etc, then I have no issue. If the plan, however, is to stuff as many double-wides into the old church parking lot as humanly possible, many people will take serious issue with this.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post: