View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 10:04 AM   #219
ApS

Question Has the Lake Changed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
The hearing was fairly well attended.
1) I'd "audited" a similar NWZ hearing—in the same building—about ten years ago: No one "in opposition" to the NWZ had appeared at the previous hearing. (Attended by about 30 people). In spite of that turnout, it failed then, but something equivalent is in place near Tuftonboro Neck "Narrows"—today.

2) At the earlier hearing at the same location, I'd noticed no particular odor—this hearing was different. Can anyone account for that odor?

It wasn't "the usual suspect" from Wolfeboro—who's expected to do a rumored eight years for transporting the stuff.

3) At dinner last evening, I encountered a friendly face—a diner from Massachusetts—with whom I've spoken at area restaurants. I'd seen her at the hearing, but didn't have an opportunity to re-introduce myself there.

After the hearing, she was speaking with an elderly gentleman—could that have been Hal C. Lyon, the author of local Bass-fishing lore?

This is turning into a much longer reply than I'd planned!

4) Anyway, it turns out this person lives at the northern reach of the Barber Pole NWZ, and their family is opposed to that NWZ—saying:

Quote:
"The NWZ is too long—we and our neighbors have been water-skiing through there for ages. "