View Single Post
Old 07-25-2016, 02:08 PM   #10
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Not sure of weight, maybe 13 lbs.? When I saw the thing toppling over, I was IN the water and pulling it almost straight, which is what the chain is supposed to help with, right? It just wasn't digging in. If I pushed it in with my feet, it held OK, but that's rarely possible. I did read in a review that the sharpness of the spike thingies and the angle they are at affect the performance.

Essentially, what I saw is that it would lay flat, the spikes would start to dig, and then it would just flip over. This was at about 20' away and pulling at waist level (3'?).

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
I agree with the not enough scope issue. If you are in 3 ft deep water and the rode will tie off another 2 feet higher, then the depth from tie off to bottom is 5 feet. You would need 5-7 times that depth to grab and hold, or 25 to 35 feet of rode, minimum. Given the choppiness over the weekend, I can see how the anchor may pull with only 20 ft of rode. Also, if it is windy, that load will also have an effect on an anchor holding. More rode, perhaps better success. If not, good luck with a new anchor. (This is why my wife and I like deeper water anchoring; still need the proper scope, but not as many boats around having the same problem.)

I live here... I am always Upthesaukee.