View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007, 08:35 AM   #18
LadyJane

Default What first drew you to Winni?

We started coming to Winni in the late 70's or around 1980. My kids were young then and we stayed in Center Harbor at the Lake Shore cottages for a few years then over in Melvin Village for several years. I live in Ct., but have always been pulled towards this area and had visited the White Mountains and Newfound Lake many times. Lots of changes occured in my life, including a divorce and the loss of my son at age 21 from leukemia. It was after he passed that I started coming up to the lake several times a year by myself, usually staying in the Meredith area. I love the beauty of the lakes and mountains and there is a special energy here that I find very grounding and healing. I am now looking for a piece of land in this area.
What I don't like? well, I just think it's kind of sad that there are so many "mansions" replacing the more modest family cottages and camps. I think that leaves less opportunities for people who aren't too wealthy and I also have concerns for the environment and what happens to the watershed when you have huge, manicured lawns and the use of fertilizers and pesticides. Change happens...it's inevitable. I have seen a lot of changes in the Meredith area in the last 10 years. But I think Rusty has done a wonderful job with the Inns (where I usually stay) and he does seem sensitive to the needs of the community.
LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote