View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #39
CanisLupusArctos

Quote:
Originally Posted by granitebox View Post
The water temperature seems to be stuck at 72 on the Black Cat Weather Station.
I noticed that myself. The water temp monitor has failed again and likely needs to be replaced. I don't have the money to do that. My first action has been to contact Sensatronics to see if they'll replace it. In the meantime I'll be manually updating again, as often as I can remember to do it.

As for temps, we're averaging 63.4 degrees on the island this month. The max temp for the month is 78. We've been down as low as 51 degrees. It's a bit more temperate out here than on the mainland, thanks to the water. More data is always on the Black Cat Island Weather Station web site.

This summer we've seen many winter-like weather features on the map. A few times we've seen cold fronts make it as far south as the Gulf Coast. Closer to home we've had storms over the St; Lawrence valley redeveloping off the coast. In the winter that's what us snow-lovers pray for.

A few times this month I've looked out on the lake and thought the scene looked just like autumn. We've had some dry air for summertime, with dewpoints on a couple of occasions in the 40s. That's rare for summer around here... fall-like dryness that is characteristic of the Canadian air. The northern continental air keeps pulsing southward.

Even now, as summertime air has finally reached us, the cold air to our north remains aggressive. For that reason a fun severe weather season is possible over this area. Cold fronts cause some very interesting weather, especially when warm and humid air gets in their way. The atmosphere has proven itself very unpredictable in New England, especially since the tornado of last summer that went through Alton.

The atmosphere has been generating weather like that on days that don't seem like they will do anything at all. The other night New York state and Vermont had a severe weather threat for which a severe thunderstorm watch was issued. Soon after it expired, a dying storm crossed into NH and came back to life in a big way. Radar indicated strong rotation in the storm, and so the NWS had to issue a tornado warning for the Warren-Wentworth area.

No other storms accompanied that one. It came out of the blue. This seems to be happening more frequently. There is a battle of the seasons taking place, and the atmosphere is generally unstable as a result. Therefore, the moral of the story, until further notice, is "Expect the unexpected."
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post: