View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #183
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Thumbs up R2B Beat me to it. WMEX and Saugus

Earlier when I posted in this thread I forgot to include the story behind my forum name although I did go into detail in the 2007 thread that I linked to that asked us to go deeper than just how we selected our name. That whole thread is still very interesting, CLICK: What's in a name to review or add to it.

To say on topic My screen name comes from 2 of my favorite hobbies, Ham Radio and boating. The Skipper part doesn't need an explaination (does it?).
The letters CQ together are an old telegraph and radio code for, “a general call to any station” usually for an informal friendly chat or quick signal check (unless modified with additional information or qualifiers such as CQ DX which is a CQ to contact distant stations). It is very common to call “CQ” in many Ham Radio modes (not used much in the newer and popular FM repeater operation though).

Sea Que was a(n alleged) clever tie-in between the two hobbies, Ham Radio and Boating. My Dad was a Ham and came up with that name for our first family boat around 1958 - I'm keeping up with the tradition. For more detailed information you can scroll down to my post, #106 in the 2007 thread – Once again that thread is HERE.

That’s on topic, now to the Saugus Sub-topic (Santoro’s Sub Shop ) and other Saugus memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
That was WMEX, not WBZ.
R2B
I saw that yesterday but did not have time to reply. You are right R2B. Arnie "Woo Woo" Ginsberg never had any regular shift on WBZ.

Arnie "Woo Woo" Ginberg’s legendary top-40 radio program called the “Night Train Show” was heard daily 6-10PM on Color Radio Famous Fifteen Ten, (1510) WMEX Boston He was there from 1959 to ~1967. A different 1510 signal from that of today. Arnie was a true radio pioneer on the air and in the business. Anyway, I may be a bit sensitive to the distinction between the more straight laced WBZ versus the more free spirit of WMEX. As a pre-adolescent I fantasized about being the Arnie Ginsberg of a future generation. When I was in college and the radio bug bit me I thought it would be a life goal to be where Arnie was. Well, a year out of college, back in the early 70’s, I wound up doing Arnie’s old shift, on-air 6 nights a week, 6-10PM on 1510 WMEX. By then radio had changed since Woo Woo blazed new trails. He started as a technical type Engineer who crossed over to talent - something only a rare few have done in Boston.

I used to pester my folks to bring me to Adventure Car Hop, one of the show sponsors, so I could get a "Ginsburger". If you knew the "secret" and said "Woo Woo" you would get a "free record" - at $0.99 for a 45 rpm record in the store, free was a magic word. The free record was a let down - a promotional copy (and not for sale) of some junk song - the type of record stations would throw away by the buckets full - My first, but not last, media disappointment .

Santoro's: Where was Santoro's before it was at the the site of the current drug store?
If you remember the Red Coach Grill you probably remember the G.E.M. store across the street bordering Breakheart. And then there was the Drive In theater. Up there.

Kiddie Land wow I hadn't thought of that place in decades and I instantly saw it in my mind - I loved it as a tyke. I used to pester my parents to take me there.
That circle (rotary) by the HoJo's car hop was the DeFranzo Circle. A short way from there, up route 99, was CHICKLAND. I remember the excitement looking all the racks of rotisserie chicken cooking in the windows at ChickLand - ahh that chicken, they crisped it up with a coating of something and added a super yummy gravy (I'm salivating just remembering). Chickland spawned SteakLand which later turned into Hilltop as I recall.
Then Howdy Beef Burger Drive In ($0.25 burgers). On the other side of town, Heck Allen's restaurant - not too far from... what was that place, a combination Library & Sewer department

I'm leaving out a lot of stuff 'cause this is getting (it got) way to long.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote