View Single Post
Old 06-24-2005, 07:56 AM   #13
ApS

Red face Shortage Over.

Lots of wildlife around yesterday.

I investigated a high-pitched noisy whistle that sounded like a rusty-wheeled wheelbarrow being slowly pushed around. Robins and other birds were also making a lot of "alarm" noises.

The interloper turned out to be a Northern Harrier hawk, perched high in the yard. It took off at my approach -- chased by one very brave Robin. (Possibly it was the same Robin that later dive-bombed a chipmunk while the chipmunk fed from my hand -- startling both of us).

While puttering at the dock, a furry, dark-brown critter appeared. It seemed very self-concerned about a few large boulders that were at the water's edge -- then dove right in! Something so fuzzy and warm-coated: It didn't seem as though it should be aquatic. Guessing here, that it must have been a mink (a very large mink).

What sounded like a steel chisel being used at the water's edge turned out to be a floating, dark-brown, quart glass bottle. (Beer? The label was gone, and I've never experienced beer from a quart bottle).

It was floating neck-down, again at the water's edge, "dinging" lazily against the rocky shore. Since it was irretrievable where it was, I planned to check on its new location in a few minutes.

Later, though it's location hadn't changed any, it was now being stared at -- for about five minutes -- by a very large grass pickerel! ("Ring" for fish?)

The count (here) of red squirrels relocated to the Town Dump gate this year is eleven. This mass-relocation project seems to have benefited the local chipmunk population and two new families of birds who fledged here yesterday: Chickadees and Nuthatches.

Declaration: The Lakes Region "Chipmunk Shortage" is at an end!

Also, there will be no "Acres-per-Second Official Chipmunk Training Course" this year. (All you need is a pocketful of birdseed to have the newbie-chippies follow you all over the lot!)
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote