Thread: My First Boat!
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #47
JG1222

Default GREAT Thread!

It's been a while since I've posted, but this great thread prompted me to come out of "retirement".

I still own my first boat. Bought it when I was 13 or so (I'm 36 now) - a 1980-something Grumman 14'. It only took a few weeks to burn up the 25hp Evinrude that came on it (one must remember that if water isn't spitting out the back of your outboard, it's going to permanantly STOP very quickly!).

Replaced the Evinrude with a 25hp Merc, and the fun began. There isn't a corner of the big lake I haven't explored in this little boat. When I was young and foolish, I'd shoot the Broads full throttle on a windy day. It could go under most any bridge in high water. I LOVE this boat, and still use it a few times a year.

FUNNY STORY - A few years ago, we had a big family vacation (about 20 of us staying at Oliver Lodge). I took off at 6:00 AM one weekday morning for a solo cruise around the lake. I shot across the Broads and was wondering why I was taking on SO MUCH WATER.

Now, 23 years of running this boat HARD has losened a few rivets, so it's never been bone dry, but MAN, I was taking on a lot of water. Well, the week before I had installed a new battery box to run the lights. Apparently I used some screws that were a bit too long, and the bouncy trip across the Broads (combined with the weight of a deep cycle battery) made swiss cheese out of the aluminum hull under the board where the battery box sits.

I made it to Wolfeboro, and walked into the hardware store on Back Bay and asked the clerk (jokingly), "Do you have any corks? I've got some holes in my boat." I told him the story and the guys actually gave me little corks to put in the holes. I made it back to Meredith safe and sound.

Last edited by JG1222; 05-08-2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Added Photo
JG1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JG1222 For This Useful Post: