View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 01:58 PM   #23
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Homedepot.com has do-it-yourself dock builder kits, same as Walmart.com and shows the PlayStar, and MultiNautic brands. Basically, the kit in a cardboard box gets shipped free to a nearby store, and you complete the dock project with deck lumber purchased locally ........ like wow ......what a 21st century, do-it-yourself concept ...... a dock in a box ..... omg!

I just ordered two of the PlayStar $8.49-each galv finish base plates that fit either a 1 5/8" or 1 7/8" diameter pipe leg support, and look forward to doing this repair in 40-degree water, five foot depth, while holding my breath........ weeeeoooooooo!
Those dock sections that the box stores sell are light duty, not something you can expect to take any kind of serious use or actually tie a boat to unless it were on a small pond and a small boat. They are rickety as heck too but that should not come as a surprise as you look at the way the way and amount of surface the legs have to connect to the horizontal platform. The good docks tend to have a cross braced sub structure that allows for two well spaced capture points for the leg supports. Then again you get what you pay for. Guess it all comes down to what you're going to use it for.

I find it hard to believe that with all the places that either sell or make docks around the lake you cannot find parts for what you got - it's not as if those posts and pads are that unique. In fact Heath's Hardware store in Ctr Harbor has a whole selection of parts that are reasonably priced.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote