Thread: Dock Jack
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2011, 06:46 PM   #13
HD_Dude

Default Thank you for the Farm Jack suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
I mentioned a "farm jack" here back in 2007.

Since then, I've actually enjoyed the farm jack s-o-o-o much, now I own three of 'em!

In 2007, I used one to simultaneously lift the dock and push the piling back under a supporting 6X8 cross member. (Winter ice floes caused three pilings to slip off their supports).

With a 3˝-ton capacity—and at $49 from Harbor Freight—you can still have it handy when you need to move anything-else that's big.
Sir, I owe you a great big thank you!

Hurricane Irene poured 10 inches of water in 3 hours into my lake in the Berkshires, and created total chaos.

The flooded lake picked up my 12' X 8' dock, and started to float it away. I secured it with steel cables, and kept it close to my shore.

Of course, when the water receded, I had a 1/2 ton dock to reposition and stabilize.

Considering all the rocks and uneven surface on the lake bottom, I took all the dock's legs off to float it into its proper position, using my steel cables to keep it in place. Then I had to figure out how to lift it, and re-attach the legs.

So I Googled 'dock jacks' and found your post. It was exactly what I was looking for! But until I read your post, I didn't know farm jacks existed.

I thought, this fellow knows what he's talking about.

Bought 2 at Tractor Supply, and went to work. 2 1/2 hours later, my dock was perfectly positioned, level and every leg was plumb straight !

Thank you! You saved me time, money and a broken back.

If you're ever in Massachusetts, dinner is on me!
HD_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HD_Dude For This Useful Post: