View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 04:24 AM   #35
ApS

Cool Another Use for a Mooring Line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
"...I would NOT use Whips on a Light Weight aluminum dock that just sits on the bottom. I think in robust conditions the dock could TIP OVER.

The MOORING ..is the BEST Place for ANY boat that might be subjected to any wind or wake driven Wave action..."
Just a few thoughts about mooring whips, moorings and spring lines:

1) We make it a point to dock our heaviest boat with the bow "facing the action". (The stern offers too much area to incoming wakes—wakes have caused our dock lines to part and wakes remain our biggest problem).

2) The effectiveness of spring lines is influenced by the diameter and construction of those lines.

Nylon is "stretchy", especially in the smaller diameters (what I use). Some lines have no stretch at all: watch the "action", and decide for yourself which is best for your situation.

Polypropylene-constructed lines, IMHO, shouldn't be used for anything serious around boats.

3) Regarding lightweight aluminum docks:

Depending on the depth at your dock, your unused mooring line can be extended from the mooring and secured to the "outermost" hardware on your docked boat. Because the mooring line is heavy and long (and should have some chain on it) it becomes an extra-sturdy snubber that will take the worst punches that a lake can throw at your docked boat.

Secure it loosely to your dock for re-use later.

ETA:

In an effort to keep my shoreline intact—and although it will eventually result in a reduced view of the lake—notice the White Pine tree I planted at the shoreline about six years ago.

Back to our wake problem:
Attached Images

Last edited by ApS; 06-10-2010 at 02:20 AM.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote