View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Whips are definately worth the price

Well I will not debate which ones are the right ones to buy, I will say that whips are well worth the investment. I used to put a h shape dock in to keep my boat from smacking the dock all the time. Then one year I decided I was done with the extra work went out and spent the $$ on the whips. I bought oversized whips more inline with anything I could see myself owning in the future. I think mine are rated for like a 8,000 lbs boat. can't remember exactly.

The bottom line is this. My dock takes less of a beating, so does my boat.

As for lines I would suggest getting high quality lines. The braided lines work much better, and with the whips I don't see a need for the snubbers. I have had my lines and whips for 5 years now. The whips look new of course. And after five years I am thinking about replacing the lines finally, but they have held up just fine.

What I do suggest is that if you get whips plan on getting a set of lines that you tie to the dock and leave. So that you are not having to adjust them. I believe this has also some what helped save one the wear and tear of my dock lines. I tie them at the beginning of the year, and only adjust them once or twice.

It means an extra set of dock lines but I felt it was worth it.