Thread: Cord Wood
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 11:21 AM   #11
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default I see what you are saying...but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
There's nothing better than a crackling fire going in the fireplace on a Sunday afternoon and watching the football games .......

But at today's rates & a bit of "old age" creeping up... I have given up and find it hard to justify heating the house with wood these past few years!

Split & Stacking - back breaking
moving wood to house - constant back breaker & wife always pissed at the mess I always seem to create
Constant attention - damn stove has a bigger hunger for logs than feeding my (now grown) kidz

At the end of the day, if you turn all the man hours spent into "cost"....With the rates of Propane vs. Elec. vs Oil ...... sadly, it's just simply easier to turn up the thermostat !

I get my wood cut to length (16") and split. Stacking this year was obviously pretty easy (thanks kids). Depending on how cold and windy it is outside depends on whether we are putting logs in the woodstove 2 times a day or 3. Our primary heat source is the wood stove, and our oil (#2 fuel oil - outside tank) is secondary.

$1200 for 6 cords of green wood cut and split. Oil is over $4.00 per gallon, and when we could not use the woodstove due to health issues back in the late 90's, we were getting filled about every 3-4 weeks. At least 6 fills during the winter, and today's prices would be over $4000 per season. One tank of oil lasts us all winter long, with the exception of last year, where we got a fill in March.

While it is more convenient to turn up the thermostat, it certainly would be extremely expensive to heat with oil. A load of wood comes into the mud room once a day, canvas sling carries the logs to the wood stove, and a carpet sweeper cleans up the little dirt on the rugs. A dustpan and brush takes care of the mess at the wood stove, and in the mudroom.

Wife sits 8 feet from the hearthstone stove...happy wife is a happy life.