View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 10:28 AM   #168
CanisLupusArctos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy
We see a lot of waves where we are. I am not talking about those. I am talking about the 1 or 2 days per year when their is a 25mph wind creating the "rollers" from center harbor down to Alton bay.

Yes, some days we abort the mission or wait until things calm down a bit.

What do you think?
Do you mean the one or two *summer* days? This time of year it happens all the time. I remember one October day a few years ago when the wind blew out of the NW at 30-40 mph - everyone was commenting on its strength around town. The next day someone said the captain of the MOUNT was in The Broads and had to evacuate the first deck for the fact that the waves were coming up to the windows. A few years later I met one of the captains and although I forgot to ask him about that particular day, I did ask about the worst conditions he'd sailed in. He said when the wind gets feisty out of the NW (usually this time of year) he's been in The Broads and felt the ship rocking enough to make stomachs queasy.

On a side-note, in less-dangerous conditions taking a wave/wake at a 45-deg. angle is also the best way to soak people up front (provided you *know* the boat can safely handle the wave with people up front.)

Straight on = bruised bums

Parallel = seasick kids

Riding into the wave = bump-bump-bump

Riding with the wave (but overtaking the wave) = splash-splash-splash

Whenever Dad got devious and wanted to get us kids drenched, he'd find the Mail Boat and come up the middle of its wake (in the calm part) and then exit by overtaking the waves - not fast enough to damage the hull, but not slow enough to allow flowing water over the bow rail. The result was a torrential 2-second rainstorm that forced its way into eyes, noses, ears, mouths... but without getting any water in the bilge.

So anyway... I'm as curious as anyone: Where's the sunken boat, how deep, when will it be raised...
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote