View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #23
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinNH View Post
I live on a dirt road and I travel more dirt roads in the course of a work week then I do paved roads. Yes my truck tends to get dusty / dirtier quicker, there is this really neat concept, it's called "soap & water". I haven't had to do an alignment on Any vehicle I have owned in probably 20 years. My tires wear great (keep rotated and check the pressure) and I am always told that the vehicle doesn't require one at this time. I have no excessive wear and tear on front end parts beyond normal use and mileage.
As far as winter travel on dirt road hills, I have seen more cars and trucks slipping and sliding on the hill in meredith by the high school then I have on dirt roads. This is New England people, adverse road travel is a regular occurance in winter and spring, irrelevent of the road surface. Personally, I would not own a vehicle if it weren't "4 wheel drive" or "all wheel drive"
If your going to let the type of road surface dictate where you might choose buy a house, to live and make a new home for yourself and your dogs you may well be closing yourself off from alot of wonderful properties and locations.
I also live on a dirt road (town, not private) and I agree with everything Mark said. Granted, I only live a half mile down the dirt road, but dirty cars and a 3 to 4 day mud season are the only drawbacks. As far as living on a dirt road affecting resale value, I don't agree. There may be a small group of potential home buyers turned off by the idea of living on a dirt road but I don't believe it devalues a property. I and a lot of people I know really wouldn't think twice about dirt or paved roads when searching for a home. When purchasing a home there are far too many aspects to consider which are much more important than dirt vs. paved.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hilltopper For This Useful Post: