View Single Post
Old 06-24-2005, 02:51 PM   #17
Mee-n-Mac

Talking I otter know, but I don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
We always have an abundance of the mink running along the shore. But they certainly aren't large. Donnamatrix is right -- probably an otter. Wish I could see one. Actually, there might be one along our shore. Each spring when I open the boathouse, there's an abundance of scat on the deck inside -- made up largely of fish scales and bones. Whatever the creature is that makes the boathouse "home" each winter/spring, it likes to poop in the same spots (and the stuff is TOUGH to remove) and eats a lot of fish. Doubt it's the mink, but it could be.
We've had one (otter I think though it could have been a large mink) occasion our shore as well. It could well frequent our place except I'm not usually up that early to know. It scared the "scat" out of "Mee" one time it swam by late at night. Seems to like to crawl up under the rock crib dock next to ours and dine. One year I'm pretty sure he used to leave 1/2 eaten fish under our dock because the smell on some hot days was pungent, to say the least! I also recall that one or more used to live around the float/raft at Sands of Brookhurst (when I was a kid those many decades ago). You would find all sorts of empty mussel shells laying about on the bottom and between the floats and raft timbers. Next time I'm taking the camera with me when I get up early !!! (don't hold your breath waiting though )

Last edited by Mee-n-Mac; 06-24-2005 at 11:28 PM.
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote