View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #14
VtSteve

I agree with you Red about the hit and run negative posters. I think most people that have a lot of internet board experience can weed through the BS and get to an objective average.

It's not good to pounce on the negative reviews. Case in point. The 90's stock market, and this decade as well. Most of the negative posting about this company or that stock was greeted with absolute contempt. Absolutely no facts could dissuade readers that what you had to say had merit, and was worthy of some weight in decision making. I know first hand, because I was a column and newsletter write during some of the most tumultuous periods. I turned bearish in 2000, and most readers turned bearish on me Same thing happened this decade, when I called the economy in 2005/2006 a house of cards, smoke and mirrors, bubble waiting to burst (insert journalistic cliche here).

Two different parties can have totally different reviews of a restaurant even during the same time period. Service is a huge factor. Some people give favorable reviews due strictly to the fact they are Comfortable there. Many people prefer atmosphere to quality, prices to taste, volume to taste. YMMV.

I think it's important to wade through as much information as you can, but make the decision yourself. I actually try some restaurants people have panned, only to find out they are mostly wrong, but sometimes spot on. The Internet is a Head's up source, particularly for products and services you are contemplating. Obviously, people with an axe to grind are more vocal, but usually more transparent due to their lack of longevity, and general hit and run tactics. I think it's a big mistake to complain about negative reviews in general, and so far, history is on my side