Thread: 50%?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2015, 07:50 AM   #10
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts

I am in agreement here. Use to launch at many smaller lakes and rivers in NH. Rarely have I seen anyone adhering to the 150 rule as many bodies of water may not allow to boats two travel at 150' or more. Some lake such as big island pond and Wicwas has islands to make it almost impossible to boat within 150 feet. Yet it has never been a problem.

The problem is on the 'Walmart' side of the lake where most of the tourists bring their boats or rent. I actually feel safer in the 'boros. I'd rather 'paddle', watersports on Winnisquam where I fell safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
On the water, 150 feet is not very far, maybe your estimate is wrong. Either way 100 feet is plenty of room, don't sweat it, it's just a made up number (yeah, I know water ski ropes are supposedly 75 feet long) that could just as easily be 50 feet and not something to get worked up over when other people don't estimate 150 feet the same way you do. Just enjoy the lovely lake and have fun watching people ignore the rules, it can be entertaining.

In my experience, boaters north and east of LI seem to take the 150 rule as a suggestion, not an absolute and don't seem bothered by safely passing each other at less separation. Perhaps it's because there are so many narrow channels up that way and light MP presence; it's really like an entirely different lake compared to Meredith Bay, for instance. Go boating on any of the small lakes in NH, or any body of water anywhere else in the world and note that almost no one cares about passing within 150 feet of each other at speed.