Thread: Payback Time
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008, 10:47 AM   #37
Commodore

Exclamation Speed is not just for Go Fast Be Loud boats

Speed (over the proposed speed limit) is not restricted to big money GFBLs. Many boats are capable of going faster than 45 mph. The summary of that study concludes that currently an overwhelming majority of polled users are satisfied or VERY satisfied with conditions at NH lakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Boy View Post
Maybe so, but....there are some business owners supporting speed limits who feel that this minority(1% per some of this forum's contributors) has indeed driven away business. One could argue that with $4.50/gal gas that there will be a shift by boaters to smaller boats. Not all GFBL boaters are rolling in money (and judging by the # of these used boats for sale, I suspect many are hurting). Similarly, not all high rollers choose to drive a GFBL boat. There are many comfortable people who choose to spend their money in the lake's region on other pursuits. I suspect that lost revenue from GFBL boats will be more than offset by other boaters and vacationers. They might not be spending it at the gas dock or the dockside restaurant, but there are many other lake's region vendors who will benefit. (check out the Phase IV Report on the Economic Value of NH's Surface Waters- the Link Between Visitor Perception, Usage, and Spending prepared by the NH Lakes, Rivers, Streams and Ponds Partnership-2007 if you don't believe me).
The summary of that report does not mention GFBL boaters as a current problem or a perceived problem. Even if it was part of the report the high ratings and satisfaction levels indicate that there IS NO PROBLEM let alone one that needs to be addressed by a new speed limit law.

Any perception that the qualities of the lake are declining comes from those who claim that GFBLs are chasing people from the scary wild west boating on our lakes. The perception comes from speed limit advocates.