View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 07:12 AM   #60
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
If you were going to do a speed study on the lake, and you wanted good data. Not politically motivated results or feel good results, but the real answers to how fast boats are going on the lake. Would you conduct the study from marked or unmarked boats?

I would get a radar gun and start pointing it at boats.

Let me tell you, after reading the initial reports on the speed limit debate in the media, you people had me doubting my own experience on the lake. I was worried that this study was going to show that 35 or 45 percent of the boats on the lake would be travelling at speeds well in excess of 50 mph. The snow job you guys did was that good, even though after spending most summer days on the lake for the past 7 or 8 summers, my experience is more in line with what MP reported.

If I accept your argument that using marked MP boats would cause speeding boats to slow down ( I don't accept this but for argument's sake let's say I do) I would have expected at least 10 to 15 percent to still be exceeding 50 mph based on the proponents reports of what it was like on the lake.

Instead the number was 0.28 % !!!!!!!!!! The report we got was right in line with what I see on the lake day in and day out. 1 out of 355 boats travelling in excess of 50 mph. It fits, it's reality on the lake. You may not like it, it may not fit your agenda, but it is the truth.

The only thing a speed limit will do on the lake is make it more dangerous as MP leaves other duties that have made the lake so safe to set up speed traps to serve your agenda, your need to make the lake your own little playground......