Thread: Broadsiders???
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
I'm looking for opinions on living broadside (or north-east side), on Winni islands.

1. How many days a season do you fine yourself stuck on the island (or on the shore)?
"Stuck" is *usually* a good place to be I've never been stuck very long - once over a weekend in heavy fog, but if I "really" wanted to leave, I could have.... nice excuse to stay holed up!! Occasionally, the wind makes it dangerous to leave in all but the largest of boats.
Quote:
2. How often do you find yourself freezing and wishing you lived someplace where the sun might shine for more than a couple hours a day?
Only during the winter Fire up the wood stove and cuddle up with someone special
Quote:
3. Do you dare leave your nice boat unattended on the island during a storm (even with a breakwater)? Do you have mainland slips for your "nice" boat and your "work" boat?
Mainland slip: absolutely, definitely YES (West Alton Marina). Only have one power boat. We are not on the broads side, and in fact have a very protected place to keep the boat when on the Island. This is definitely more of an issue on the broads side. I would not leave a boat unless there were a VERY good mooring available - and even then, I'm not sure. I suppose a good 4 way tie and a breakwater would be acceptable protection.
Quote:
4. How do you protect your dock in the winter?
Have 2 docks: the main dock is OUT of the water (crank up). The other dock is, unfortunately, not built this way, and finally sustained some significant damage this year. I share this dock with someone else, and we are going to modify it this year to be cranked out of the water like our main docks are once the water reaches a civilized temperature (for me that's about 80 degrees )
Quote:
Plus any other big pluses (I know... big view, lower cost) or minuses you might think of...
The islands are JUST SO NICE. It's *really* getting away - no cars, no road noise, much more independent living; different kinds of people - I don't know - there's just something really special about the islands. I guess it's true - once and islander, always an islander. I've been an islander for a long time (on various islands around the lake).
Quote:
Me, I'm enthralled by the views and the raw nature of it all, but it's easy when you only visit on nice days.
It's important to have good, useful stuff to do. There's daily hiking, possibly visiting other islanders at the same time if you're invited (all islanders are invited to stop by our place anytime!!), hobbies (I do amateur radio from the island and build equipment), reading and - hate to say it, but working from "home" (I do a lot of this). Of course, there are always "projects" - like building a bunkhouse, or fixing something

On nice days, sailing, swimming, more hiking, kayaking, etc...even on not-so-nice days for some of it.

Saturday nights at Wolfeboro can be a lot of fun (they have a summer concert series).... Other things - go to the Winnipesaukee Playhouse - this summer's offerings look VERY VERY good - may even buy a season ticket if they are available. Usually have to go to Funspot at least once or twice Hike Mount Major, go to the William Tell Inn (if they reopen) etc. etc. etc...
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote