Thread: Broadsiders???
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
Island Girl

Default Island Girl on the Broads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
I'm looking for opinions on living broadside (or north-east side), on Winni islands.

1. How many days a season do you fine yourself stuck on the island (or on the shore)? I am a chicken so when the N, NW and W wind is over 12 mph I usually stay put. That is several days per season. Sometimes just part of the day. The reason for my webcam is to see the lake conditions before venturing out.

2. How often do you find yourself freezing and wishing you lived someplace where the sun might shine for more than a couple hours a day? A bad day at the lake is better than any day anywhere else. A nice wood fire... and lots of masking tape to seal out the breezes from my cranky sliding glass doors. In the winter... I wish I were someplace warm. One just has to be prepared... books and movies, projects to do, cooking, sleeping... watching a storm move across the lake!

3. Do you dare leave your nice boat unattended on the island during a storm (even with a breakwater)? No (I don't have a nice boat) I am either on the island with the boat tied well, or the boat is in its slip on the mainland and so am I. Do you have mainland slips for your "nice" boat and your "work" boat? Yes, a mainland slip for my boat. I always know I have a place for my boat. Launching every weekend is a real pain, so after the first year, a slip was acquired.

4. How do you protect your dock in the winter? Mine is a breakwater with embedded dock. I do nothing.

Plus any other big pluses (I know... big view, lower cost) or minuses you might think of... Silence, the Ossipee Mountains, hikes, living on the water and messing about with boats!

Me, I'm enthralled by the views and the raw nature of it all, but it's easy when you only visit on nice days. It is pretty on not so nice days. Learn to play scrabble. Sunrise over the lake... sunsets as well, a sudden big blow across the lake, crazy people on boats on super windy days, hanging out with someone you love, walking up island to visit friends, chores while looking at the pretty lake, going boating, swimming or jetskiing by just walking down to the dock... (no prep time). Everything requires a boat ride... great if you like boat rides! Going to different towns after dinner for ice cream by jetski, fishing... floating down the island, casting a rod... No cars and trucks, no street lights... heaven!
Nothing much more to add.... island life on the broads is not for everyone... but it is for me!

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote