View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancoveguy View Post
greetings all,
I love the lake and all it has to offer, but I dont like the fact that I can only enjoy it a few months of the year. So, i am considering trying the whole snow mobile thing. My sons and i do the atv thing in the summer and wonder how different sleds can be. i know there are quite a few on here that are into it and i would love some guidance.
Whats a good way (cheap) to try it and see if i like it? rentals etc
How much should I expect to spend to get into it initially considering i would not want any loans or new sleds? A decent used sled that will get me through the first few years with minimal issues?
What clothing considerations should I prepare for?
Should i join a club?pros and cons?
Anything else you all can think of that a true novice should know before jumping in.

HCG
First of all, it is not a cheap sport to get into (no powersports are!). You should try before you buy. Do you know anyone with a sled you could try out? If not, there are several rental agencies around.

To buy a decent used sled, you would probably be spending around $4k. Anything less than $3k will likely require some work over the years you own it. Not that the $4k sled won't need anything either.

You want warm clothes. Spend the money on some decent warm clothes, a good pair of boots, and a good helmet. You get what you pay for, and the cheap stuff sometimes is not warm enough. A cold ride can be miserable, and can ruin the experience.

YES you should join a club. Of course, I am President of my local club so I am biased. But, your local clubs do so much work on the trails year round. I am sure they would really appreciate your $30 membership dues. Doesn't sound like much, but every little bit helps! And they will really appreciate if you can get out and help the club in any way!

Other advice I can give would be to never ride alone. When you start out, go out with a group (2 or 3 others) of experienced riders. People who can give you pointers along the way, and help out if you get into any trouble.

Hope this helps!