View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #104
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Ok lets talk Lighted marker #10 first. I know this well.If your on a Northerly course you are actually headed directly at Long Island You bear to the east to come up and go through the passage, passing the lighted back top spar to the North side of it. You are also passing the second back spar to the North. I don't understand how this is confusing. There is also the red spar before the lighted black which when on a Northerly course you are passing to the west of....

No lets talk to the Cow Island issue, as you come in from the south between ragged and cow, you have a Red top spar of ragged which you have pass on the southern side off, you proceed up the cut and pass to the west of a second red marker, then you go to the north and east of the lighted back 41 and turn back to a northerly route and pass the last red mark to the west . Now if you wish to go into idlewild you of course need go to the south of second red that actually brings you into that cut.

You have to process these scenarios with knowledge of your heading. and process all the markers in that area for it all to make sense. People often think they can turn directly after a mark and that is simply not the case.

I don't mean to sound like a broken record here, but at one time I too found this all very confusing. But then I began to dig into more, so that I had the understanding of how to navigate the lake. I of course have a map at all times, and someday my even get a GPS, as I do more night boating now, something about looking at the stars is pretty cool. The bottom line is you have to process all the information. Having a maps is good, because the dotted lines take the processing of your position out of the equation. But does that really make you safe and comfortable? I know it didn't make me comfortable, it wasn't until I really studied my headings and understood the marker system that I really got comfortable with navigating the lake.

Please don't read into my comments to deep, I am not ridiculing anyone, what I am stating is that there is more to navigating then just looking at a chart with dotted lines to make the process easy, if you really want to understand how well marked the lake really is you have to focus on understanding your heading and how to apply the markers to that heading.

I find this lake incredibly well marked. And if you get disoriented as to where North really is, it is very very easy to end up in trouble. I myself am not perfect, and have ended up on the wrong side of a marker. I beet myself up over it, make sure I know why I was wrong, and why it was marked the way it was. Once I rationize it all, I come to the conclusion, that I had a lapse in judgement, and the Markers are indeed correct.
I agree with your points. You are an experienced boater and know the areas in question. Take a look at your description of the red marker by the Idlewild mail dock. You are correct about the first red marker - you are on a west to east course so you pass to the south of the first marker by Ragged Island. However, you are still on that same west to east course when approaching the second red marker by the mail dock. If you passed to the south again (as you did with the first red marker) you would be on the wrong side. That's my point. Unless a boater knows the area, or is using a chart with dotted lines to show correct passage, then the markers are confusing and basically useless. Makes no difference to me. I can't tell you the last time I pulled out a chart since I know most of the lake by heart. I just feel bad for boaters that don't have the same experience.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote