View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 01:27 PM   #101
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Phantom, I totally disagree with this statement, I have been on the lake now for over 25 years. I have never found a spot on the lake where the compass and an understanding of the markers would have failed me.

I have been to several areas where trying to go fast and not heading the markers and verifying your orientation with a compass would fail you for sure.

But that is not the same as your statement.

Boaters need to be educated on how to use a compass, and navigate with regards to the orientation to the marker.....

No chart is really needed... A chart makes it easier..... A chart makes it possible to navigate unfamiliar areas a bit faster.... but a chart will not save you... anymore then a compass and understanding of the AtoN will......

I also disagree with the statement that GPS devices are the save all either. Yep they are nice and look pretty, but I bet many boaters still get into trouble.... yep you maybe able to zoom in etc. but common people, that doesn't make it safer.

REALLY LEARN TO NAVIGATE.... UNDERSTAND THE MARKERS.... AND DON"T BE AFRAID TO SLOW DOWN, and understand your bearings......

Anyways I am going to get off my soap box..... I have noticed that many people in this argument are also the people that think anything less then a 24' boat is unsafe......

What makes a successful captain, is experience, constant learning, and being able to get a firm grasp of how the Aides (markers, compass, GPS, depth finder, etc.) will make your life easier. They don't do the job for you.....

ok now I am serious... I am stepping off the soap box and kicking it aside.
Here's one: Travel along the west side of Little Bear Island, on a south to north heading. At flashing light # 10 (at the passage between Little Bear and Long Island) you will find a white/black marker accompanying the flashing light. The compass heading shows you are heading north at that time, so logic would say pass to the east of the spar and light marker. This is the wrong side.

The markers are marking the passage on a west/east course, so you would correctly pass to the north of the markers. This is confusing and I have seen dozens of boats pass on the wrong side over the years. The proper passage side is directed by the course that the markers are marking. Another one is the red marker over by the Idlewild mail dock on Cow Island. Same thing. It's marking a north/south course, so the correct passage is to the west. Yet if you are approaching on an east/west course, you would incorrectly pass to the south of the marker. It's a flawed, lousy system.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote