View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 11:28 AM   #180
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos

Have the kids ever floated in the middle of the lake while wearing a life jacket, just to get the feel of it? Swim lessons are vital.
This is something we have done in our family for many years. Sometime through active envolvment in water skiing, and other just by jumping off the boat too cool off. But everyone in the family has had deep water experience with a life jacket, and knows how well they work.... we don't always tell the kids we are doing it so they are ready for an accident. But in some sense we are...everyone in the family is comfortable in knowing the the life jacket will save them.

An addtional note someone mentioned having a few ski vest handy when out of the boat for the day just incase, I do this also. I also go as far as to pull enough jackets out of their storage spot for everyone on board when the lake is rough. Not that I am uncomfortable or anything, The lake has only scared me once (plenty of days when I wouldn't go out, but only one day where I was out and got nervous). But as I tell everyone you never know what can happen, and I want everyone to be ready as quick as possible. And when I have nervous passangers I just have them put the vest on .imediately....