View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #12
DickR

Without specific knowledge of where the system is "frozen," we can only speculate as to where the problem is. And, yes, you need to get someone in unless you can diagnose and fix the problem yourself. I can think of a few possibilities.

The weep hole (if there is one) that lets the line from pump/tank to D-box drain slowly back to the tank to protect any part of the line that isn't below frost depth could be plugged with debris, and there is a part of the line that isn't deep enough.

The pump could have failed, but then you ought to get a high level alarm, if your system has an alarm. I don't know if a system this young would be required to have one or not; I'll let others comment. A pump that young should not fail; these things last years.

Your D-box could be at fault. The D-box would not be below frost line, as the leach field itself typically has perhaps a foot of soil over it. The field is supposed to drain slowly enough to filter but fast enough to prevent accumulation of water to freeze. From one site I googled:

"Time is the main culprit in a failing distribution box. The boxes are level when installed, but weather, including flooding and freezing temperatures, can make the boxes tilt to one side. Because the box is no longer even, the effluent no longer flows properly into the trenches."

This makes me wonder if there is ice in the D-box, which would get thicker and thicker until the exits to the leach field pipes plug up. Typically the box is concrete with an access opening in the top. Get a pick axe, dig down to the top of the D-box, remove the cover, and have a look. Or call for help.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post: