View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
We have noticed the new sign advertising Segway rentals and are thinking about giving that a try. Sounds like fun and hopefully we won't fall right off like "W" did. I may pass the zip line.
I did the Segway tour in Newport RI last August. The tour group that runs it in Newport did a nice job with about 20 minuets of training in the parking lot of the rental company then off to the streets of Newport.

Took a little getting used to fighting your instincts like trying to "steer" with the handlebars. It's all shifting your body weight for acceleration and turning. You also have to shift your weight to your toes to speed up, and back on your heels to slow down. I found the uphill the most difficult, it doesn't feel natural to lean forward to maintain speed uphill.

Lot's of fun but expensive! $80 bucks for a 1 hour tour of Newport, make it $100 with the tip for the tour leader.