View Single Post
Old 02-08-2005, 10:01 AM   #14
PROPELLER

Default Mee-n-Mac

I agree with what you posted. However, I am not happy with the present law chapter 270:44 (not the new LSR although I am against that too) because it allows any one to petition for a NRZ & could lead to the whole lake becoming a NRZ. Each time a new area becomes a NRZ the rafters will move to another area where it is not banned & that stresses that new area even more & makes property owners in that area more angry & then they petition for a NRZ, it just keeps snowballing.

I think it would be better to make the entire lake rafting friendly except in those areas where for instance Loons nest (and even that is not the whole summer, Loons are done nesting by the end of June I think) or any other area where its clear it presents a hazard like Weirs channel or it can be shown its not environmentally sound etc. That way they are spread out more & property owners in the areas where rafting is allowed do not bear the full burden of all the rafters while others do not where they were able to get a NRZ passed.

Although many of the undeveloped areas on the lake are slowly disappearing, many of the rafters do use those areas that are left for rafting so they are not blocking access