View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #18
patman

We went to the Corner House on Saturday night for dinner.

Short version:
We Loved it. I wouldn't hesitate to go back, or to recommend it to someone else looking for an excellent meal.

Long version:
We got there about 10 minutes early for our 6:30 reservation for 4 people, and were seated immediately. The table was in one of the front windows, and was nicely situated there.

The drinks order was taken quickly, delivered shortly afterwards, at which time and we placed our food order. Freshly baked breads were delivered with butter as a table appetizer. Someone came by with a water jug soon after and asked if we'd like our glasses filled (yes, please!) and did a nice job of keeping them filled throughout the meal...without hovering.

Lobster/mushroom bisque, French onion soup (I'm a sucker for onion soup), and 3 salads were the first round. The bisque was declared to be delicious (licking the bowl was discussed briefly) and contained a generous portion of lobster meat. My onion soup was fantastic, nicely toasted cheese, very rich broth, full of onions. The salads were a nice size (not huge, but not tiny) and the dressings were fresh. I had the Caesar, and I'd guess that it was homemade...there was definitely a twang of anchovy in it.

For the main courses, we had chicken piccata, chicken stir-fry, shrimp scampi, and chicken carbonara. After delivering food to a neighboring table, the waiter cleared our starters, and told us he'd check on our order, as it seemed to be running late. A few minutes later he came back with the order, and we started in. There was a little bit of cross-the-table sampling, but for the most part everyone guarded their plates fiercely as the food was delicious.

We passed on the desserts because we were all pleasantly stuffed.

The total for 4 people came to $114 before tip, including 3 glasses of wine.

Great:
The food was excellent, service was attentive, menu selection was very good and offered many different choices.

Good:
Mains were delayed slightly, maybe 5-10 minutes beyond what would have been perfect, but...overall not a big issue.

So-so:
Although the atmosphere was very nice-yet-relaxed, one of the servers had a nosering, or an eyebrow ring maybe? I don't remember. Not a big deal, but...it struck me as a little out-of-place. Wine was $7/glass...and it was a small glass. Then again I'm a cheap SOB, so that's probably just me.

Bad:
We didn't leave room for dessert.

We really enjoyed the meal...and we'll be back.
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patman For This Useful Post: