View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008, 05:11 PM   #84
Airwaves

Quote:
Orignally posted by Evenstar
Here's what happens when you don't read a quote carefully:
Here's my quote again: "In 1996, 5174 boat collisions occurred nationwide." Of course there will be a smaller number for just boating collisions, since all boating accidents would also include non-collisionsAnd, no matter how you try to dance around it, it is still a fact that "It has been statistically proven that the number of collisions between vehicles, be they of the marine or roadway type, are reduced as speed is reduced.”

Slower speeds = less collisions = a safer lake for everyone.
Here’s the funny thing, I still can’t come up with your former CWO’s number for 1996.

Looking at the USCG Statistics for 1996 there were 3,422 collisions with another vessel, fixed object or floating object.

In 2006 the USCG Statistics show 2019 collisions with another vessel, fixed object or floating object and for last year that figure was 2030

Your point that collisions are reduced as speed is reduced doesn’t hold up to the statistics. The statistics show as boater education increases accidents including collisions decrease.

BTW it also shows a rise in deaths associated with canoes and kayaks between 2006 and 2007 from 99 to 107!

http://uscgboating.org/statistics/accident_stats.htm

Be careful of those SUV's speeding down Meredith Bay!

Last edited by Airwaves; 07-13-2008 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Corrected the URL