View Single Post
Old 11-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #3
rgilfert

Awesome map & info!!! Thank you so much for your post!! Our summer home is located directly under the "d" in "Rattlesnake Island" (in your post) and I am currently trying to put together a similar map of the mountains in our primary view (ie looking north and west towards the Ossipee Mts, Red Hill, Sandwich Mts and White Mts. My approach has been extremely time consuming! I purchased two 30' x 60' USGS Topographic maps ("Mt. Washington" & "Lake Winnipesaukee" maps) and using a protractor against known benchmark Mts (like Bald Knob, Mt Shaw, Red Hill, etc) try to figure out the other peaks (Mt Washington, Chocorua, etc). I would really like to be able to speak intelligently (and accurately) when a visitor visiting us on the island points at a distant peak and asks me what it is. I always have a very confident response ... But really don't have much of a clue if I'm right or not. I honestly think that the peak that I always say is Mt Washington is actually way too far to the west of where the mountain actually is. Can you (or anyone) provide input as to a better way of accomplishing this?
rgilfert is offline   Reply With Quote